February 8, 2019
- Charlotte Lloyd, Graduate Student, Department of Sociology, Harvard University
- Anna Skarpelis, Postdoctoral Fellow, Reischauer Institute, Harvard University
February 22, 2019
Maria Abascal, Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Columbia University
- Title: "Demographic Threat and the Classification of Racially Ambiguous People"
March 8, 2019
Sarah Mayorga-Gallo, Assistant Professor, Sociology, University of Massachusetts — Boston
- Title: "How whiteness shapes multiracial spaces: Lessons from Behind the White Picket Fence"
April 5, 2019
Camille Z. Charles, Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Pennsylvania
- Title: "Diversity from Within: A Descriptive Portrait of Millennial Black Elites"
April 19, 2019
- Gregory Davis, Graduate Student, Department of African & African American Studies, Harvard University
- Anjie Chan Tack, Graduate Student, Department of Sociology, University of Chicago
September 7, 2018
Alex Bell, Graduate Student in Economics, Harvard University
- "Experimental Evidence on the Long-Run Effects of Mentors"
- Victoria Asbury, Graduate Student in Sociology, Harvard University
September 21, 2018
Rene Flores, Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Chicago
- "Who are the ’illegals’?: The Social Construction of Illegality in the U.S."
Tuesday, October 2, 2018- Co-Sponsored Event with the Culture and Social Analysis Workshop
Jessica Welburn, Assistant Professor, Departments of Sociology & African American Studies, The University of Iowa
- "Almost Lost Detroit: African Americans' Responses to the Individualization of Risk in the Motor City"
- Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 12:00pm to 2:00pm, WJH 450
October 5, 2018
Spencer Piston, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Boston University
- "Shades of Humanity: White Americans Who Dehumanize Blacks"
October 19, 2018
Van Tran, Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Columbia University
- "Asian Americans and Affirmative Action Policy"
November 2, 2018
Phillip Atiba Goff, Professor, Center for Policing Equity, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- "Building a COMPSTAT for Racism"
January 26, 2018
Ibram X. Kendi, Professor of History and International Relations, American University
- "How to be An Antiracist"
- THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED
February 9, 2018
Demar F. Lewis IV, Yale University
- "Making Sense of the Numbers: A Du Boisian Approach to Interpreting Modern Social Reintegration Statistics"
Suraj Yengde, Phd, Harvard University
- "Thinking Caste, Thinking Race: Du Bois, Ambedkar and Fanon"
February 23, 2018
Sa-kiera Hudson, Harvard University
- "The Influence of Sexual Orientation and Race on Gender Prescriptive Stereotypes"
Gregory Keith Davis, Harvard University
- "The hierarchy-affecting force of racial identification in Donald Trump’s presidential victory"
March 9, 2018
Dr. Robert W. Livingston, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- “Paths to Progress: Moving the Needle on Racial Justice in the U.S.”
March 30, 2018
Edward Telles, Professor, Department of Sociology, University of California, Santa Barbara
- "Race among Latinos and Latin Americans"
April 13, 2018
James Sidanius, Professor, Department of Psychology, Harvard University
- “The Theory of Gendered Prejudice: A Social Dominance and Intersectional Perspective”
September 8, 2017
Lawrence D. Bobo (Sociology) & James Sidanius (Psychology)- Harvard University
- "Racialized Politics: Revisiting the Debate About Racism in America"
Robert Manduca - Harvard University
- "Income Concentration and the Persistent Black-White Earnings Gap"
September 22, 2017
Tiffany Nichols - Harvard University
- "Blumenbach versus Montagu: How Courts Have Relied on Anthropological Concepts of Race"
Monique Golden - University of Connecticut
- "Who’s Missing from School Choice Research?: African American Girls’ School Choice Decisions"
October 6, 2017
- Brainstorming session for early stage works (e.g. fellowship application, prospectus, etc)
October 20, 2017
- Valerie Purdie Greenway, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, Columbia University
November 3, 2017
Ellis Monk, Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Princeton University
- "The Consequences of Race, Color, and Bodily Capital in the U.S. & Brazil"
November 17, 2017
Victor Rios, Professor, Department of Sociology, University of California, Santa Barbara
- "Human Targets: The Role of Culture in Racialized Punitive Social Control"
Workshops are held bi-weekly on Fridays from 12-2p at Willian James Hall in room 1550. Lunch is provided.
Additional reading discussions and focused dialogues to be announced throughout the semester.
Subscribe to mailing list for updates.